last updated 9/30/98
Your comments are always welcome.
Send me email!
Tracking the cost:
- Pillow blocks, timing belt, shaft, pulleys. $140.
- PWM controller $275 (PWM stands for "Pulse-Width-Modulation"
and is an efficient way to deliver DC electric current.)
- potbox $80 (this is the potentiometer box; it is the electronic
"gas pedal" for the controller)
- seat, seatbelt $50 (Did you know you can't buy used seat belts
in Massachusetts? Same lobby as the mattress people, perhaps.
Just kidding. It makes sense, I think. Who knows what that used
seat belt had done to it? Like a used helmet, or other safety
device, you want to know it is sound.)
- Miscellaneous bolts and tubing for suspension elements, $15.
- This hurts to reports, but, dammit, I did it: shaft, pillow
blocks ($42 each!) and pulley, $125. These are all drive components.
- Steel stock $85
- Four socket-wrench universal joints for ½" drives.
These will provide linkage for steering. $37.50.
- Cable, thimbles, clamps, pulleys and two garage door springs (for tilt
mechanism control). $60.
- Miscellaneous hardware (1/2" bolts, washers, nuts, pipe). $15.
- Mild steel angle bracket for steering linkage. $10.
- 1" sq tubing, thick-walled, for roll cage; 1" sq tubing, thin walled for
steering levers etc. $40.
- Components from EVoA: 300A fuses, fuse blocks, relay. $68.
- Drive components from Olmstead-Flint: shaft coupling, 9" and 3" twin-groove
pulleys, shaft coupler. $130.
- Spool of 14 AWG stranded wire, 1 box male and one box female crimp connectors. $36.
- A pair of heavy duty 1/2" vee-belts for the drive. $28.
- Honda 175 $42 (used its front end for: odometer, speedometer,
wheel, telescoping suspension, brakes, steering, and tail light and directional lights)
- Cushman $0 (freebie in a trade; used its rear differential,
axles, and for the moment, tires)
- 36V charger $50 (will be used to juice up the three 12v batteries)
- 36V motor $100 (A Prestolite that came out of a golf cart,
- Steel frame components $0 (scrap bin special)
- Foam rubber for seat $0 (recovered from bench seats in our kitchen)
- Seat upholstery material $0 (scraps from a scooter move - good stuff - black vinyl)
Work done by others-
Registration, Title, etc.-
- Application for Vehicle Identification Number, $50.
TOTAL COST SO FAR: $1456.50.
Back to Back to Max Hall's homepage.
Send me email!